Introduction to TACS
TACS is for anyone interested in tiles and decorative ceramics related to buildings.
Tiles have a history stretching back more than one thousand years. In the 13th and 14th centuries Europe’s churches were paved with decorated tiles. At the same time buildings in the Arab world were adorned with richly coloured tiles. Holland was an important centre for tiles in the 17th and 18th centuries and in the 19th century Britain pioneered mass-produced tiles. The 20th century has seen both a decline and a revival in tile-making. Tiles are now much collected and studied. Tiles are all around us for everyone to enjoy. Ceramic tiles cover walls and floors, roofs and pavements, furniture and stoves, and can be seen in churches and mosques, pubs and shops, hospitals and homes. They are often combined with other forms of ceramics such as terracotta, faience and mosaic.
The Tiles and Architectural Ceramics Society (TACS) has served as Britain’s national society promoting the study and conservation of tiles and architectural ceramics since 1981. An international membership of individuals and institutions is drawn from the fields of tile museums, conservation, manufacturing (both industrial and craft), architecture, design, tile collecting and antiques.
- Glazed Expressions, a colourful and well-researched magazine also including up-to-the-minute news items, which is published twice a year.
- The annual TACS Journal, a peer-reviewed international journal containing substantial articles of original research.
- New members will receive back issues of the publications that have been published for the current subscription year.
- Members are also able to take advantage of the TACS Events Programme, with visits to places of ceramic interest, many of which are not normally open to the public.
- A free entry and link to your web site in the TACS Web Site Member Directory (as long as it is related to tiles and ceramics and which we consider to be of interest to TACS Members).
Current Subscription Rates
|European/Overseas (sterling only accepted)*||£30|
|Institutional European/Overseas (sterling only accepted)||£40|
All subscriptions are due annually on 1 July. *We accept PayPal payments for European and other Overseas subscriptions; please contact the membership secretary for further details
Please fill out the Printable membership application form and send to the TACS Membership Secretary:
Georgina Grant (TACS Secretary)
The Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust
For General TACS queries please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For queries regarding this Website, please e-mail: email@example.com
For queries about Membership queries please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For queries regarding Events please e-mail: email@example.com
For queries regarding Glazed Expressions please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For queries regarding the TACS Journal please e-mail: email@example.com
For queries regarding Privacy , please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For sales of TACS Publications please contact: Richard Dennis Publications
The Tiles and Architectural Ceramics Society (TACS) is a registered charity, number 289090
President: Hans van Lemmen
Chair: Penny Beckett
Treasurer: Roger Hensman
Secretary: Georgina Grant