Images from the published Tile Gazetteer

The inclusion of a site in the Tile Gazetteer does not guarantee any availability of public access nor that any listed site remains in existence or is unchanged. TACS Database & Web Site Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Use your browser Back button to return to an existing TACS Database Search, or click here to start a new search.


The interior of Talents Music, a former fish and game shop at 9 Brockley Rise, is completely tiled and dates from the early part of the twentieth century. There are two pictorial panels, one showing a fisherman, the other a delicately painted portrayal of game birds which occupies a semicircular recess.

The oldest of the three buildings making up the Lewisham College campus on Lewisham Way is a plain brick structure put up in 1927-30 by London County Council. Its facade is enlivened by a series of heraldic plaques in Doulton’s polychrome stoneware designed by Gilbert Bayes and the sculptor Stanley Nicholson Babb[1].


In the entrance of the Old Tiger’s Head (1896), 351 Lee High Road (at its east end, on the corner with Lee Road), is a large hand-painted Craven Dunnill tile panel showing a tiger’s head. Opposite, at 159 Lee Road, is the New Tiger’s Head, with an elaborate facade including a terracotta tiger’s head at parapet level.


1.^         Louise Irvine and Paul Atterbury, Gilbert Bayes, Sculptor, 1872-1953 (Richard Dennis, Shepton Beauchamp, 1998).

The Tile Gazetteer is Copyright © 2005 Tiles and Architectural Ceramics Society and Lynn Pearson, Richard Dennis.