Use your browser Back button to return to an existing TACS Database Search, or click here to start a new search.
The Nelson Arms, on the south side of Merton High Street, has excellent exterior tilework including ceramic lettering on its brown-tiled ground floor facade and three pictorial panels signed by Carter’s of Poole; these date from 1910. There are two small panels of the Victory and Nelson on the main frontage, with a large panel of the Victory on the Abbey Road elevation. The pub’s site marks the entrance to Merton Place, where Nelson lived during 1801-5.
The Jacobean mansion Eagle House (1613), High Street, was restored by its current owners, the Yamani Cultural and Charitable Foundation, in 1989. In Pitt’s Room (first floor) is a fire surround with London-made delftware figurative landscape tiles dating from 1740-60. There is also a fire surround with De Morgan tiles and another with 10” by 14” Chinese-style tiles, which probably date from the late nineteenth century or after.
1.^ Personal communication, Ian Betts, Museum of London Specialist Services, 12th August 2004.
The Tile Gazetteer is Copyright © 2005 Tiles and Architectural Ceramics Society and Lynn Pearson, Richard Dennis.