Use your browser Back button to return to an existing TACS Database Search, or click here to start a new search.
The ceramicist Philippa Threlfall (b1939), who went on to produce many large-scale mural works from the late 1960s onward, spent her early teaching career at the North London Collegiate School, Canons Drive, where her head of department was the designer Peggy Angus (1904-93), who taught at the school during 1947-65. An early Threlfall construction, a freestanding wall made from concrete blocks, glazed ceramic ware and pebbles brought in by the pupils, still remains in the school grounds.
Harrow on the Hill
The Chapel (1854-7) of Harrow School, High Street, has an opus sectile reredos (1899) and wall panels designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield and made by Powell’s of Whitefriars. The firm’s principal designer John W. Brown (1842-1928) also had a hand in the designs, as he was paid £42 for his work on the commission.
On the first floor landing of Harrow Civic Centre (1966-72), Milton Road, is the Kodak Mural (1974), a brilliantly colourful wall comprising nearly 1,000 different 6” tiles designed by Pentagram and made by Kenneth Clark Ceramics; Kodak Ltd have been associated with Harrow since 1890. All the tiles show Harrow-related images, which were either screen-printed or decorated by a photographic process in a bravura display of the art of tile making. The original design of the Civic Centre complex included a raised piazza, which was never built, leaving the proposed entrance area stranded on the present first floor; it would seem that the Kodak Mural was intended to be seen in the main entrance.
1.^ Katie Arber, 'Peggy Angus, designer of modern tiles for a modern Britain', Decorative Arts Society Journal, 26 (2002), pp120-134.
2.^ Carolyn Trant, 'The Red Angus - Peggy the teacher and inspirer', (2002). Paper given at study day 'Peggy Angus, Mid-Century Designer', 9th November 2002, Museum of Domestic Design and Architecture, Middlesex University, Barnet.
3.^ Dennis W. Hadley, James Powell & Sons: A listing of opus sectile, 1847-1973, (2001).
4.^ Jonathan Clarke, Peter Guillery and Joanna Smith, Gazetteer of London Town Halls, in London's Town Halls: The architecture of local government from 1840 to the present, (English Heritage, Swindon, 1999), pp34-77.
The Tile Gazetteer is Copyright © 2005 Tiles and Architectural Ceramics Society and Lynn Pearson, Richard Dennis.