Use your browser Back button to return to an existing TACS Database Search, or click here to start a new search.
The Queen’s Hotel, 26 Broadway Parade (1899-1901), was built as a combined pub and hotel by the Scottish developer and architect John Cathles Hill (1858-1915), who was responsible for the construction of much local housing and an even more spectacular suburban pub in nearby Harringay (see below). The facade of the Queen’s includes art nouveau tiled stall risers.
The interior of the Salisbury PH (1898-9, designed and built by John Cathles Hill), 1 Grand Parade, Green Lanes, is relatively untouched and retains extensive mosaic flooring and good wall tiling.
Highpoint Two (1935-8), North Hill, was the second of two modernist blocks of flats in Highgate designed by Berthold Lubetkin and the Tecton group; the entrance vestibule is lined with plain Carter’s tiles.
The cream and black faience forming the stepped facade of the Odeon Cinema (1936, architect George Coles), Fortis Green Road, was made by the Hathern Station Brick and Terra Cotta Company. The former shop, possibly a florist’s (now Prickett & Ellis, estate agents), on Park Road at the corner with Etheldene Avenue has a tiled facade and pretty interior tiling by T. & R. Boote dating from around 1910. This complete decorative scheme includes a tiled dado and high level frieze with panels of patterned tiles in between.
1.^ Kevin Wheelan, The History of the Hathern Station Brick & Terra Cotta Company (Mercia Cinema Society, Birmingham, 1982).
The Tile Gazetteer is Copyright © 2005 Tiles and Architectural Ceramics Society and Lynn Pearson, Richard Dennis.