Use your browser Back button to return to an existing TACS Database Search, or click here to start a new search.
The interior decoration of the Paradise PH, 19 Kilburn Lane, includes a late 1880s Burmantofts faience panel showing a woman in classical dress gathering grapes; it was marketed as one of a pair entitled The Gatherers.
There is good, varied porch tiling (and terracotta roofware) on many of the houses occupying the slopes above Kensal Green, notably in Clifford Gardens NW10, developed in the 1890s, and the half-dozen or so roads running parallel and to the north.
The passageway at 275 Kilburn High Road, on its west side between the Tricycle Theatre and Brondesbury Medical Centre, is faced with a tile mural designed and produced around 1998 by Clifford Strong and Richard Wells (Fig 144). The design, based on the local street map, successfully combines small-scale silk-screened images with bold visual impact. Nearby on the High Road are the Cock Tavern, rebuilt in 1900 with (just inside the door) a fine tube-lined plaque showing a cockerel; shops near the market with 1960s wall tiling; and the former Gaumont State Cinema (1937, architect George Coles), its cream and black faience supplied by the Hathern Station Brick and Terra Cotta Company.
1.^ Burmantofts Pottery, (Bradford Art Galleries and Museum, Bradford, 1983), p62.
2.^ Kevin Wheelan, The History of the Hathern Station Brick & Terra Cotta Company (Mercia Cinema Society, Birmingham, 1982).
The Tile Gazetteer is Copyright © 2005 Tiles and Architectural Ceramics Society and Lynn Pearson, Richard Dennis.